Is Anti-rabies vaccination is required even if no indication of bat bite is there?

Dr. Soujanya

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 1 Aug 2018 in Mental Health
Question: XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I have a query. Recently, 6 days back, I have seen a small bat flying in my hall during the night when I was working . Initially I didn’t pay attention thinking it was a moth but after a while realised it wasn’t. I got scared , opening the hall window leading outside , went into the bed room and locked myself . Next morning I realised I didn’t close the bedroom door properly. And there was another bedroom where my parents were in. I’m not sure when and if the bat went out. Next early morning, I searched the house for that and did not find. I want to ask if I should go see a doctor for a rabies vaccine . Or I’m just getting paranoid without a reason . Google search on bat's in the bedroom/homes gave some serious suggestions that i should get a PEP vaccine. I spoke to a known physician and he dismissed those . I have asked my folks if they want to take a vaccine and they dismissed it too saying there was no bite visible. I too do not have any bite visible. I would really appreciate any help/practical information that can be provided in this case.
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Brief answer...I feel that there is no necessity to take vaccine

Detailed Answer:
Detailed answer..
Hi xxxxxxxxx,
I have gone through your query and understand your concern towards the situation happened
I could definitely say that vaccine is not required if there is no indication of bite like pain, itching, any burning sensation or any site of bite marks or bleed, or any other symptoms
I would like to know if you are having any negative thoughts or paranoid ideas about this....if you can let me know these details... I would help you
Hope this information would be helpful
Feel free to ask any further questions
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T