Is Amoxicillin an effective treatment for a sinus infection?
Yes, can be used, would help if it is a bacterial infection
Yes, if the infection is bacterial then the Amoxicillin should help to clear it out.
Additional over the counter meds such as antihistamine/decongestant combinations can be added to it eg Zyrtec D, Allegra D, Claritin D, Benadryl D.
If there is a facial pain due to sinus congestion then a warm (not hot) compress to the face, would help with drainage
In some cases, the infections are due to a viral infection and antibiotics are not helpful, just promote antibiotic resistance.
In that case, the antihistamine/decongestant combination along with the compress can be used.
Rest and fluids would also be important
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Chronic sinusitis infection treatment
- Treatment of maxillary sinus infection
- Treatment and cure for sinus infection
- Suggest treatment for sinus infection
- Chronic sinus infection treatment
- Sinusitis infection treatment
- Treatment for klebsiella sinus infection
- Antibiotic treatment of sinus infection
- Bacterial sinus infection treatment
- Sinus infection treatment