Is Amoxicillin an effective treatment for a sinus infection?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 12 Oct 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Can my 14 yr old (6ft 152lb) son be on amoxicillin for a sinus infection and take something over the counter for his cough?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Yes, can be used, would help if it is a bacterial infection

Detailed Answer:

Yes, if the infection is bacterial then the Amoxicillin should help to clear it out.

Additional over the counter meds such as antihistamine/decongestant combinations can be added to it eg Zyrtec D, Allegra D, Claritin D, Benadryl D.

If there is a facial pain due to sinus congestion then a warm (not hot) compress to the face, would help with drainage

In some cases, the infections are due to a viral infection and antibiotics are not helpful, just promote antibiotic resistance.

In that case, the antihistamine/decongestant combination along with the compress can be used.

Rest and fluids would also be important

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician