Is Amoxicillin advisable for a bladder infection?

Dr. Vaddadi Suresh

Posted on Fri, 6 Jan 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Can I use amoxicillian for a bladder infection?
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
For the exact answer, you need to undergo urine culture sensitivity test.

Detailed Answer:
HI Mrs XXXX,
Welcome to HCM.

For the exact answer, you need to undergo urine culture sensitivity test in the first place.

Bladder infection is generally caused by gram negative bacilli ( a type of bacteria) mostly E.Coli, proteus etc. Considering your age, mixed infection is also possible. other factors like presence of diabetes, kidney or bladder stones, vaginal pathologies etc. determines what can cause bladder infection.

Generally, Amoxycillin has poor record on these organisms, hence I do not recommend it, unless it is proved to be sensitive for this infection (as shown by C/S: culture sensitivity test). If this test is done, the best antibiotic for the infection would be known.

If this test is not done, and you want to use it as empirical drug, i should say there are better drugs like Fluoroquinolones and Nitrofurantoin.

I Hope I have not confused you. Please do not hesitate to ask any queries, I would be glad to answer.

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee