Is Ambroxol hydrochloride a safe drug to use during pregnancy?

Posted on Tue, 6 Jan 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: I'm 19 weeks pregnant. .having a ear blockage. .doc prescribed be with ambroxol hydrochloride 30mg. Is it safe to use during pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can be used after 1st trimester

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It can be used after the 1st trimester since organ development has occurred.

It does cross the placental barrier but research has not shown any harmful effects to the fetus but caution demands it is not used in the 1st trimester.
Most of the research was after the 28th week of pregnancy but the earlier use (in the second trimester) is allowed.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 minutes later
How about using montelukast ip10mg during this week of pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can also be used

Detailed Answer:
HI

Montelukast has a FDA pregnancy rating of B.

Pregnancy rating b means: animal studies have shown no risk to a fetus but no human studies have been done. Based on these studies it is thought to be safe.

In general at 19 weeks , this is also safe for use.

Please feel free to ask anything else
Dr. Michelle Gibson James