Is Ambien a safe drug for treatment of insomnia?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 14 Mar 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Does Temazepam 30 mg contain anticholinergics which can cause dementia? In addition I only take Zestril, 10 mg for my blood pressure.
Should I take 10 mg of Ambien instead?
Thank you,
XXXX
I tolerate Ambien very well if it is made by a reputable pharmaceutic company. I also tolerate Temazepam very well and it helps me to fall asleep and stay asleep for about 5 hours, but I am very concerned about the fact that Temazepam pills might cause dementia since they contain an6ticholinergics. I take very good vitamins and eat a vegetable- fruit based diet, no meat. I am very slim and look very young. Thank you in advance for your answer. Alzheimer's and dementia are nowadays so common, I just learned that every 4th XXXXXXX will get one of these diseases. I am European, but this does not matter in this case.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ambien would be better drug for you than Temazepam if we consider safety

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related queries

I can understand your concern. TEMAZEPAM is a benzodiazepine drug and the drug is a safe and good hypnotic drug if used on SOS basis. Regular and prolonged use of this drug may increase risk of cognitive impairment and it may worsen the memory impairment. The mechanism by which the drug cause cognitive impairment is not anti-cholinergic effect but by GABA (A neurotransmitter) mediated actions and by altering neuronal pathways. You are 76 years old and as per my opinion the drug is not a right drug for you if you are taking the drug on regular basis. It may worsen cognitive impairment. But fortunately in most individuals it cause reversible cognitive decline and on reducing the doses memory improves again. The memory impairment caused by benzodiazepines is usually for short durations only.

AMBIEN is Zolpidem and the drug is also a hypnotic drug belongs to a different class of drugs than Temazepam. This drug is relatively safer than Temazepam if we consider cognitive decline and memory impairment as side effect. The drug is also less dependence producing than Temazepam. If you are getting good sleep and relief with this drug then it would be a good idea to use that drug. Please take these drugs with proper prescription and of good brand only.

If you have no symptoms related to memory impairment and you are able to function normally then there is no need to fear from dementia or Alzheimer’s disease. Try to exercise for at least 15 minutes a day. Use brain stimulation games to keep yourself active. Sudoku, crossword, cards on computer etc can be played to keep yourself active and this would improve memory.

Thanks, hope this helps you. Please don’t hesitate to ask again for more doubts.