Is Alzheimer's disease hereditary?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I took an overdose of 56 150mg of vensir xl antidepressants 2 weeks ago. I was unconscious for 2 days and had multiple seizures. I was discharged from hospital several days ago but have been suffering from memory loss. My mother died at 56 after suffering from early onset alzheimers from the age of 47. I am now concerned I may have one of the defective genes. I understand memory loss is common after seizure but am concerned it may be permanent.
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
get an MRI brain done; follow as advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

This is Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern.
Alzheimer's can run in the family and generations are seen to be affected. However, what i feel is you are having post-ictal or post-seizure memory disturbance. This is not uncommon and gets better with time. So dont worry.
However, with the history of alzheimer's in your family, it would be better to get an MRI brain done. It can detect both any seizure foci or rule out other causes of memory loss like age-related or vascular dementia.

Hope this was helpful.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 5 hours later
Dear Dr,
I understand that my missing memories could be caused by the seizures but I now have difficulty holding a conversation as i continually lose my train of thought. I also forget mid task what I was doing. It is becoming increasingly stressful, any ideas on coping strategies as I refuse to take any more medication and am concerned I will become even more depressed than I previously was ( if thats possible) I feel this is a separate memory issue from the missing memories or am I wrong and its all connected?
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
better to take medication and MRI to be done

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
I understand your situation.
It can be because of seizures but as i have told you, MRI can rule out other causes. So it is better to get it done.
Also you having problems in short term memory, mostly known as anterograde amnesia. This is reversible and medicines like donepezil and memantine work very well. They do not increase depression or anxiety. If you still do not want to take medication, get the MRI done and consult a neurologist. If he/she suggests anything, you can do accordingly.
As for now, avoid stress, do exercise and meditation, have healthy food.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 11 hours later
Thank you for your advice it is much appreciated i am seeing community mental health team tomorrow for further treatment
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
You are most welcome.

Wish you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta