• question-icon

Is Alzheimer's disease common at the age of 29?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: what is the chance of getting early onset Alzheimer's? for the general population not just me. what's the chance of getting late stage Alzheimer's for the general public?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chances to get AD vary depending on country, age and risk factors

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Alzheimer's disease generally starts around age 65 and it increases with age after that. Depending on the country you live in, the chances for you to get Alzheimer's are 6.4% if you live in North XXXXXXX 4.5% in Latin XXXXXXX 5.4% in Western Europe, 4% in China and the Pacific and 1.6% in XXXXXXX
These numbers apply to the general population. The chances appear to increase if one parent also had AD.
After age 64 the chances to develop AD almost double for every 5 years.
Even though the biggest risk factors for this disease are age and genetics, studies show that smoking, high blood pressure, diabetes, overweight and blood vessel disease also contribute to early development of this disease. Whereas an active lifestyle and stimulating mental activity have shown to be related to lower chances for Alzheimer's.
I hope this answers your question. If you have further questions you are welcome to ask.
Wishing you all the best

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ornela Ademovi