Is Albuterol effective in managing asthma?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi, Im an 18yr old high school kid that plays hockey and other ports and during spring season i want to do hockey and lacrosse. To stay in shape i go on runs during the night time for about 2-3hrs, from 11pm to 1-2am and i have asthma but when i go for my runs its been getting a lot harder to keep running cause of asthma attacks. I take Arnuity every morning and if i need albuterol but my question is why is it getting more difficult to breathe if I'm taking arnuity which is supposed to decrease symptoms for my asthma? How can i decrease my asthma symptoms and attacks on my nightly runs so i can stay active?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Combination of formoterol with fluticasone will be more helpful.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Exercise can worsen underlying asthma.
To prove this, you need to get done PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) before starting exercise and after completing exercise..
If this shows reduction in the lung functions then it is confirmed that you are having exercise induced asthma.
And in this case, taking formoterol (inhaled bronchodilator) along with fluticasone (arnuity) will be helpful to avoid symptoms during the exercise.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana