Is Advil effective at treating bodyache and fever?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My husband is doing great, thank you! I however have been layed up for 3 days
with achy body, 100.6 temp and now it has settled in my ears and head. I never know if I should take advil or not. Will it prolong this? I do feel better when I take it.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information.

Detailed Answer:

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

You most likely have a viral infection, and if you have a cough, it may be flu which is epidemic in the US right now.

The good news is that Advil (ibuprofen) or Tylenol (acetaminophen) will not prolong your illness. If you take ibuprofen, be sure to take it after you have some food in your stomach to decrease the risk of stomach irritation.

If you find that your fever is going up higher than before (in between doses of the Advil or Tylenol) or that your symptoms are worsening, then do go in to be seen to make sure you are not getting sicker from a secondary bacterial infection. But most likely you will recover without complications if you are overall healthy.

Be sure to rest and push fluids. And for some people, guaifenesin can help with congestion (by thinning the mucus - have to drink a lot of water for it to work).

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, General & Family Physician