• question-icon

Is Acyclovir effective in treating sensorineural hearing loss?

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: is Acyclovair ever used to treat SNHL?
If not what is the recommended anti-viral?
How soon should the anti-viral medication be taken?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir , I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns . Internal ear inflammations caused by viruses is the most common reason for sudden sensorineural hearing loss. No treatment for this disorder has been universally accepted until recently when Two Egyptian otolaryngologist--head and neck surgeons have now determined that acyclovir, a treatment for herpes simplex and Epstein Barr virus, combined with the prednisolone, is highly effective in restoring hearing loss due to inner ear inflammation. I would recommend that you continue on both medications and follow up on your hearing tests . I hope I answered your question . if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
In order for the treatment to be most effective how soon should the treatment begin after the diagnosis?

I have read that after 30 days the level of hearing loss is permanent, is this a true assessment?

Are there any treatments for SNHL that have proven for patients who have suffered with SNHL for longer than 2 years?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
The earlier the better

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, the best results are obtained when early treatment is established especially if the cause of SNHL is an inflammatory process then treatment should be initiated before fibrosis occurs. the time when the fibrosis occur depends on how severe the inflammation was.
another alternative treatment will include hearing aids and cochlear implants . I hope you find this helpful. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman