Is Acitrom safe to take during pregnancy?

Question
Sir my wife has mitral valve replacement surgery and take acetrom 3 mg daily. Her previous pregnancy test is positive . I want to know what is the risk of continuing it or abort it.
Tue, 8 May 2018 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Risk are there.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
I have gone through your query and reports in detail,Acitrom 3 mg Tablet is an anticoagulant or blood thinner which is used in the treatment and prevention of abnormal blood clots.
This medicine is not recommended for use in pregnant women due to the increased risk of serious fetal harm.
This medicine is not recommended for use in breastfeeding women unless absolutely necessary. If the medicine is used, close monitoring of the infant for any undesired side effects is necessary.
So in my opinion it is better to abort.
Discuss all the risks and benefits with your doctor before any final decision.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow-up: Is Acitrom safe to take during pregnancy? 3 hours later
Which types of risks. Plz define.
My wife is 30 years old . I have 1 son 7 years old. And my wife want 1 more child.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
skeletal/neurological deformities.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
There are some reports of skeletal/neurological deformities in pregnancy.Fetal loss and hemorrhage are some of the complications that may occur. You hematologist should be informed. Your obstetrician also needs to be informed that you are on acitrom. If absolutely needed,the minimum dose has to be adjusted and should be stopped at least a month before deliver.You will need heparin instead at that time and also early confinement.
At present,you should discuss with your hematologist and get the dose adjusted if you want to continue the pregnancy.Regular checkups are mandatory.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Is Acitrom safe to take during pregnancy? 1 hour later
how I minimise acetrom when it's dose based on pt test report.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult her cardiologist for that.

Detailed Answer:
Her cardiologist can weigh the risk and reduce the dose to minimum after getting her blood test done.
Regards.