Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Is Acid reducer advisable to my son for his unhealthy diet?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5762 Questions
This is not about me … it is my son, who is an adult and just moved in with me. This is what I have noticed: He drinks 1 - 2 pots of coffee a day … does not eat breakfast (because it upsets his stomach, he says) … he skips lunch … drinks a lot of beer …. eats sweets … works all day, yet sometimes skips lunch … smokes cigarettes … the other day, I came across a bag of 2 - 3 boxes of: equate, Acid reducer. I take enzymes and acidophilus, as I have been diagnosed with diverticulosis and have not had any issues. I wonder if it would be helpful to him, if I could get him to take them before every meal, also? I hope you can help.
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Peptic Ulcer
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: He should consult a doctor first. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. His diet sounds not healthy. However some persons even with the worst diet in the world wont have peptic ulcer or stomach cancer. Its because the risk of this diseases is individual. So its hard to say if acid reducer is advisable in his case. What he should do is to have gastroscopy done. Not because of ulcer but more because of stomach cancer. Such diet makes him prone to such disease. So please ask him to visit a doctor first and have gastroscopy done. Doctor should decide either he needs antiacids or not. Acidophilus may be beneficial in his case as a kind of protection against gastrointestinal infection. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is Acid reducer advisable to my son for his unhealthy diet? 3 minutes later
He has not been able to get health insurance because he works for a temporary work agency and has to pay for medical insurance for his child and her mother, who he does not live with. The advised treatment is too expensive. Is there anything else we can do?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: In such case he should do everything to keep his body in good shape. If you want him to take care of gastrointestinal tract he should avoid fatty foods, fried foods, coffee, alcohol, fruit juices, chocolate. He should increase fiber rich products and mineral water intake. Some physical activity is also advisable. If he has no symptoms right now, there is a great chance that no other treatment is necessary. Hope this will help. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor