Is Absolut Woman safe to take while breastfeeding?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 25 Jul 2018 in General Health
Question: You had answered for one of my question mentioned below that all medicines are safe to take but just wanted to cross check on Absolut Woman tablet which says breast feeding women should not take.
https://www.tabletwise.com/absolut-woman-capsule

"My wife who is still breastfeeding is advised to take below medicines from gynaecologist based on her annual health checkup reports. Our daughter is at present 1.8 year old.

1. Depura liquid 60k(Vitamin D) - one a week for 3 months and then once in a month of 3 months.
2. Calcimax till she is continues to breastfeed the baby.
3. Absolut Woman tablet for 3 months. "
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She can take them without worrying

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking me once again.

Let me remark that Absolut Woman tablet contains ingredients like Primrose oil and Ginko Biloba, the safety profile of which have not been widely studied and therefore there is lack of enough studies that could conclude that this is safe in pregnancy and lactation.

However, these ingredients are widely used and no harmful effects have been reported. You can search for the use of primrose oil in pregnancy and you would find that it is often used. Ginkgo biloba, on the other hand, is more of an antioxidant and therefore unlikely to be harmful. Whether you want to go for it despite lack of safety data, is a choice that you would have to make. But I can assure you that they are unlikely to cause harm to your breastfeeding child.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee