Is AVA value of 0.6 cm2/m2 a cause for concern?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: am 58yr, 5ft,130lbs. At 18 I learned I had a murmur and was sent to have my first ECG in 1976 where they found I had a bicuspid Aortic valve. Fast forward, ECG’s have become more frequent. 3 yrs ago they said slight stenosis, last year it was moderate, two weeks ago it was Severe. This is the first time I have been referred to a Cardiologist and I’m thinking it may be time to have my valve replaced. From what I have read if my AVA is 0.6 cm2 its considered Critical? I have developed mild symptoms ( achy heart, lower endurance, ect). My questions is; what should the recommendation be from the Cardiologist?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following recommendations...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

You are a 58 years old male with severe stenosis of aorta (with aortic valve surface of 0.6 cm2, which is an echo graphic sign of severity). This is why I strongly recommend that you should go for aortic valve replacement with mechanical valve, bit before surgery you should do angiography to confirm the diagnosis and to exclude any coronary blockage.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 15 minutes later
That's what I was thinking as well, also it appears my Aortic root is dialated(according to the report attached), does something need to be done for that and will the thickening of the of the left ventrical improve on it's own. Oh, and I'm a Female.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice.

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Although, the aortic root is dilated as long as it's below 45 mm it shouldn't be touched during intervention.

The left ventricular hypertrophy may regress only in few occasions. However, it's important that the left ventricle hypertrophy will stop after surgery.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 3 days later
Thank you very much, I feel a little better prepared when I go see the Cardiologist Friday.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You were most welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,
You were most welcome!
Dr. shehu
p.s: If you are satisfied with my answer please close this query and rate to maximum.