Is AST level of 131 Units/L a cause for concern?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My wife's blood Test came back with an AST of 131 Units/L. I understand the normal range is between 5 and
34. All other blood tests were within range. I had to have an ambulance pick her up because she passed out at home and could not hardly stand and walk. We are going through a divorce and found out that all this was because she was not hydrating and nourishing her body. The ER Doctor mentioned that her AST test indicated that she had been binge drinking. They Diagnosed her with GAD. Gave her mediations for nausea
and GAD. I am concerned as she is in the care of our children when I am not around. Finally, the next day (not even 24 hours later) after her coming home from the ER and the Family Doctor (to receive med prescriptions) she goes out with her friends from 11:30 am to 3 am the next day. She operated a vehicle
when she was not supposed to and engaged in some drinking and other activities. Sorry for the long explanation...but I wanted for you to have the full picture. Should there be concern for her as well as the
children?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes there is need for concern

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all there is clear indication that she is taking too much risk which is not expected from a mother. The risk taking behavior could be result from the stress or frustration coming out of one or another issue but life risking behavior (drunken driving) can not be considered normal.

You have not mentioned about how she is taking care of children but there is possibility that after binge drinking taking care of children is difficult issue and you need to take note of this point.

Considering above facts I feel there is need for concern for her as well as children.

I hope this helps you.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.