• question-icon

Is ALT level of 131-114 a cause for concern?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: My alt has been reduced from 131 to 114. My ast has been reduced from 84 to 75. My INR is 1.1 Reduction in 5 months.

Do these numbers show liver function improvement?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

The laboratory results that you have shared indicate a very slight improvement in the liver enzymes. It is hard to say whether this actually reflects improve liver function.

Since your levels have been elevated for sometime then a biopsy would be very reasonable.if the biopsy is normal then this can be followed conservatively without any other concerns.

I think the advice of your doctor is wise and you should consider following up with his recommendations. A biopsy is uncomfortable but not unbearable.

i'm sure your doctor has discussed other possible contributing factors including alcohol consumption or possibly Fatty changes of the liver that can cause elevation of enzymes.

Thank you again for sending the question. Again please follow up with your doctor for further instructions.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist