Is A&D ointment effective at treating cracked and flaky skin?

Question
I have cracked, flakey skin in the crease between my breast. Also if stretched it rips. Just on the left breast. Would A&D ointment help? If not what would?
Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello Cindi,

How to treat this depends on what is causing the cracking and flaking.

If the skin is breaking down because of the area always being moist, which can happen in folds of skin, then anything you can do to keep it dry will allow it to heal. This can include a different bra, inserting a piece of cotton cloth while you are sleeping, drying well after a shower (including using a blow dryer on lowest setting to really dry it off).

If the skin is breaking down because of a fungal infection, which can happen in dark, moist places that have less air circulation, then treating with an anti fungal cream, such as lotrimin, can help, along with the suggestions above.

If the flaking is because of eczema (which can happen in people with allergies and asthma) then a steroid cream can help, but I would not recommend using it for more than a couple of weeks because over time it can weaken and thin the skin.

The A & D ointment will not hurt any of these situations and may promote healing of damaged skin, particularly in the case of skin maceration from moisture.

I hope this information helps. If the problem doesn't go away with the suggestions I made here, please do go in to see your doctor.