• question-icon

Is 80 mg Valsartan twice a day dangerous to take while having hypertension?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am a 74 year old male who lives in the mountains of XXXXXXX I cycle a lot and am very active. I had a stent placed in my heart in 2015. I have high blood pressure. In XXXXXXX 2017, my cardiologist put me on Valsartan/HCTZ 160/25 to reduce my blood pressure; however, my energy level was greatly reduced. He changed me to Valsartan 80 mg tablet. It does not control my blood pressure. I would like to know if two Valsartan 80 mg tablets should reduce my blood pressure to normal without reducing my energy.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that it is safe to raise the dose of Valsartan up to 160 mg per day (two tablets).

This is not a high daily dose of Valsartan and will be really helpful in maintaining normal blood pressure values.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 13 minutes later
Am I losing anything by not having the HCTZ as part of my medicine? What is the HCTZ supposed to control or do for me?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

No, you are not losing anything by non taking Hydrochlorothiazide.

This is a diuretic, used to lower blood pressure.

Valsartan does the same, but it belongs to a different anti-hypertensive class of drugs (ARB), which are better tolerated compared to Valsartan.

I would just recommend checking periodically (every 6-12 months) your kidney function and potassium levels while taking Valsartan.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist