Is 4th generation HIV test result conclusive 28 days after exposure?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Mon, 5 Mar 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hello specialists. Had my 4th gen test today (28th day after exposure) and it came out negative!

Just a few more questions if you dont mind, do i have to retest after this or are my results conclusive?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to get tested after 3 months.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

The window period for HIV varies from 15 days to 3 months so as per protocol you need to get tested after 3 months to get 100% conclusive result but first you need to tell me in detail about your exposure so that I can explain you in much better way about the risk.

As such negative 4th generation test after 28 days of exposure is considered around 95% accurate and reliable so you need not to get worried or tensed for HIV. Be relaxed and get back to me with all the details about the incidence. I am here to help you out always.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 7 minutes later
Hello doctor. My exposure was a massage which ended with a hand job

My main worry was that my leg got in contact with the girl's vaginal area (she was in her underwear) the reason i tested is that i was mostly afraid of vaginal fluids getting in contact with some cuts i had at that point of time. cuts were reddish around the edges but not bleeding
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The risk is very unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

HIV virus can enter into the body through cuts or abrasions but the chances of HIV infection through the way you had mentioned is very unlikely even if your partner was HIV positive so don't get afraid or feared. The risk of infection through hand job is not there so forget about the episode and live your life normally. For any further help you can write to me again and I will help you straight way.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
So doctor, my 4th gen test that i took is conclusive? do i have to retest at 3 months post exposure.

As always, im just afraid of the what ifs, if you know what i mean
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is 95% conclusive.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back once again.

Your 4th generation test result is 95% conclusive but to get 100% conclusive result you need to get tested again after 3 months as per international HIV guidelines. Allay the fear or anxiety related to HIV as the possibility of positive result after 3 months is practically nil. Be relaxed, close this chapter and move on in life.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 37 hours later
Does this mean that i can live my live as per normal withoud any fear? cause the statistics are high?

Also doc, can hiv spread from human to object (panties) and to another human?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

You can definitely live your life as normal without any fear or tension and the spread of HIV through object to human such as panties is not practicle so avoid thinking on that, forget about the incidence and move on. Wishing you very happy and healthy life ahead.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 2 days later
Hello doc. Sorry just a question since ive had my 4th gen done at 4 weeks?

What does the test actually test for? And is there any instance where the test has failed?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It tests for both antigen and antibody.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM once again.

4th generation HIV Duos test detects for both HIV antigen as well as antibody and it is considered as 95% reliable after 4 weeks so don't be afraid about the accuracy of test and move on in life as you are absolutely safe and risk free.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 14 minutes later
I tested on the 28th day itself. its still 95% right?

Thanks for all your replies doctor
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes after 28 days it is 95% accurate.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

The test result for HIV Duos is 95% accurate after 28 days so you need not to worry at all. Be relaxed, forget about the episode and move on happily.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 2 hours later
Hope you dont mind me asking for more info doc.

The p24 antigens, can you give me details about the protein? Ive read alot but cant seem to get info about it. The antigen is present because of infection right? And ive read that it peaks at the 28th day. Is that one of the reasons why im considered uninfected? Because the test coudnt detect the antigents?

Also, is there such thing as undetectable antigens?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is nothing like undetectable antigens.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

P24 is protein antigen that is present on outer surface of the virus and if the person is infected with HIV then 4th generation HIV Duos test will definitely detect the presence of the antigen because it is nothing like any undetectable antigen in infected individual so don't get worried and stop thinking too much about HIV as you are safe and risk free.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana