Is 3.5 kg an ideal weight for a one month old infant?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in General Health
Question: Hello Doctor, Hope you remembered me, my name is "XXXX".

Baby is doing good and active. Inline few observations and need your inputs.
Baby age: 1 month 3 days.

Our child doctor has suggested UltraSound of whole abdomen for baby. this is reg baby kidney having water in 5th month of pregnancy.

Baby is still getting wheezing and we see at her throat inhaling and exhaling. we are using :Asthakind-p" and "Nasivision".

Baby's weight is 3.5kgs is it normal?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not use Nasivion for long

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking me once again.

I remember the case. But still it would be a good idea to mention the birth weight when you have any queries related to the present weight. Let me know and I will tell you whether it is fine. Furthermore, one single weight measurement does not carry any significance. Search the internet for WHO growth chart (weight for age) for girls and download an age appropriate chart and plot the weight recordings according to age.

In case of wheezing sound, it would be advisable to continue to take Asthakind P. However, it would not be advisable to continue Nasivion for long as it will make the child prone to recurrent episodes. Rather give Nasoclear nasal drops when needed.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 23 minutes later
Birth weight: 3.25 and at time of discharge after jaundice treatment is 3kgs.

Now its 3.5kgs.

So ultra sound is ok, your suggestion was DMSA and/or DTPA. Also doctor asked us to take the intital reports of tiffa scan of motor for doctors reference at time of scan.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Weight gain seems fine. Use growth chart subsequently

Detailed Answer:
Weight initially dips and then gradually picks up. Last time when you contacted me, the baby was 3.2 kg. So, weight gain seems fine.

Surely, you should take the TIFFA scan reports along when you go for further evaluation.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 17 minutes later
Thanks for your suggestion. Planning to go in 3rd month.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad