• question-icon

Is 10 mg of Oxycodone a safe dosage to take?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Pain Management
Question: Hi, my internist, who is also my pain management doctor has decided to cease prescribing to me pain medication. He feels i need another doctor to prescribe that kind of medicine even though he has seen me through the following; 2010, knee replacement, 2011, shoulder replacement, 2015, lumbar fusion (which did not fuse), 2016, bowel resection to remove 18 inches of colon, and may 16, 2017, a posterior and anterior lumbar fusion. So yes I have taken pain medication and still need it. As a "good bye" (my opinion) he sent me out of the office 10mg landing in er, 40 count, which I have never taken before, after taking them for a few days I have decided I do not like.
I went to my surgeon two days ago for my post up and I told him what i just told you, he said this won't as you are about to start pt. According to KASPAR (we live in Kentucky) because the oxycontin is good till the11th of July we have a problem, can my surgeon override the KASPAR agreement?

In my description of the medicine i was prescribed got messed up in the letter. It should have read 10mg oxycontin extended release, 40 count.
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
well....yes...technically...but

Detailed Answer:
KASPAR is a reporting program. You don't get into problems robbing a bank because there are rules on it on the internet. You get into problems because it's against the law. Going to multiple doctors and getting narcotics is against all the guidelines. You sort of kind of fall into red flags on that and it will be found out by KASPAR. Detailing in notes that you were allergic or intolerant to a medicine, that it was handed back and that you got another one is certainly legal and is not a problem BUT, the KASPAR monitoring doesn't take that into account, the doctor prescribing you risk getting called before a board to answer for your prescription. He'd have answers for it, but he'd rather not bother with it.

Obviously, after the timing for that prescription is over, and within that time period get documents you are transferring care to the next doctor, this just works.
But, it hurts right now.

Follow up: Dr. Matt Wachsman 1 hour later
Thank you i figured that was the way it had to be but when you are in pain you look for every answer, you know.
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You're very welcome

Detailed Answer:
Sorry, you're being perfectly reasonable about this and the doses of narcotics discussed (10 mg oxycodone... 3 to 5 times a day) are about usual.
Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist