Is 0.5mg of Xanax equal to 5mg of Valium?

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: i have been on 6-8 mgs of xanax for about a month and i am trying to taper off onto valium, i have about 150 5 mg valium and 30 2 mg xanax. can you help me figure this out so i wont have siezures?
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
0.5mg xanax is equivalent to 5mg valium.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.
I can understand your concerns.

0.5mgxanax is equivalent to 5mg of valium. So, the the dose can be substituted accordingly.

You are taking 6-8mg ofxanax daily. This is equivalent to 60-80mg of valium daily.

You can reduce xanax by 2mg each day and shift to valium and increase 20mg each day.
Or you can reduce xanax half tablet each day and shift to two tablets valium each day and increasing subsequently.

Or you can completely shift to 60-80mg of valium taken in divided doses.

Kindly keep your doctor informed about this.

Hope this helps.
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 22 minutes later
I would actually like to get down to taking just 5mg valium three times per day, how would i best go about that as quickly as possible?

I really just want to taper it down to 5 mg three times a day as quickly and painlessly as possible
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
shift to valium, consider gradual dose reduction.

Detailed Answer:
In my opinion, the best strategy would be to shift to valium straight away in equivalent doses.

6mg xanax is equivalent to 60mg valium.

You can then reduce 5mg valium after every three days.

This should not cause any problem. You can keep observing how your body reacts to this. If the withdrawals are intolerable, you can consider a more gradual dose reduction.

Kindly keep your doctor informed about this as his supervision is must.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.