Irritation on penis after having sex. Negative for chlamydia and gonorrhea. Genital herpes?

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Men's Health
Question: What is the irritation in the tip of my penis?I am an 18 year old make in good health. I had a one night stand about a month ago and i had unprotected oral sex and protected sex. The next day i had a slight irritation in my penis and aches in my legs. I looked up symptoms for genital herpes and i was convinced i had it. I went to a doctor two days later and told him my symptoms. He ruled out herpes and tested me for chlamydia and gonorrhea and the tests came back negative. He said my urethra hole was abnormally small and that i might have a uti. The next week i went to my family doctor and he also ruled out herpes and did a urine test for utis. He said everything looked fine. However two weeks later the irritation in the tip of my penis came back and i do not know what is going on. I have had no pain while urinating and haven't had any skin abnormalities either. I have an anxiety problem and tend to get extremely worried about things. Please help
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 4 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
I have read your query with diligence. There are several causes for the pain or irritation at the tip of penis:

1. Bladder Infection: This pain can be a referred pain of infection of bladder. To get rid a complete course of antibiotic is required. Take plenty of water to flush the track.
2. Inflammation of the tip: The inflammation of the tip gives you a feeling of irritation and pain. Anti-inflammatory drugs and good hygienic condition is the line of treatment.
3. Obstruction in the urinary pathway: Stones or other type of obstruction must be rule out by sonography of the abdomen.
4. Sexually Transmitted Disease: It is a very vast topic and there are number of disease to be rule out. It is good that you have rule out some of them but not all. The incubation period for different diseases are different so you have to wait for that much period to get the test positive. Clinical examination by a doctor will help you.
5. Irritants like soap: It is also possible for the tip of the penis to become painful because of irritation. This would be considered a form of inflammation
6. Unhygienic condition

In my personal opinion this is a local inflammation or an infection that is causing the problem. Get your urine examination checked again and even culture examination. Accordingly antibiotic can be given. In addition to this maintain good hygienic condition, wash the part with water 2-3 times a day and do not try to have sexual activity till the problem resolves.

Hope I have answered your query. Write back for follow up query.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Follow up: Dr. Kulbir Singh 1 hour later
Ok both of the times the pain came around were times when i was dehydrated and didn't drunk enough water. Could that be a factor to it?
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 58 minutes later
Hello and thanks again for writing in
Dehydration can be one of the cause for irritation on the tip. Keep yourself hydrated with plenty of water and check urine for any type of infection.

Dr. Kulbir Sngh
Follow up: Dr. Kulbir Singh 8 hours later
I'm very afraid its genital herpes. What are some of the symptoms or signs of it?
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for writing in
The symptoms of Herpes include fever, muscles pain, headache, painful urination, enlarged lymph nodes and blister or ulcers over penis. The symptoms of genital herpes arrears within 2 weeks of exposure. Do not worry as you have confirmed that it is not herpes by clinical examination by a doctor.
Yet if you have any doubt in your mind get culture for virus done or PCR test to detect the presence of virus.

Dr. Kulbir Singh