Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Irregular periods with heavy bleeding. History of PCOD. Prescribed with Pause MF which is not available. Alternate medication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 1031 Questions
Hi, my niece 31 years old and unmarried is on a holiday in Andamans- 10 days after her normal periods she got them again- and has heavy bleeding. She also has history of PCOD. she was prescribed Pause MF- but the drug is unavailable where she is. This kind of bleeding has happened for the first time.Could she take Gynae CVP ? If so what is the dosage?
Thank you
Posted Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 2 hours later
Thanks for consulting us.
Before giving you the answer I would like to explain certain facts:
1. The Pause MF she was originally prescribed can reduce menstrual bleeding by about 40%.
2. The second drug you want to try is like a nutritional supplement. It can help improve some nutritional deficiencies but no authentic research has proven its efficacy in reducing menstrual blood loss.
3. Best treatment for a girl of her age with PCOD, who is NOT pregnant is birth control pills, if she want to get normal monthly periods.
4. Pause MF contains Mifenamic acid & Tranexamic acid as active ingredients. In some countries it is available is separate formulations rather than as a combined preparations. So, may ask about these from a pharmacy.
Last but not the least if she is in trouble she should see a Gynecologist to get a prescription.
Hope this answers your query. Please feel free to write back if you have any other concerns.
Hope she gets well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor