Irregular periods, infertility, taking Citalopram which can cause lactation. Concerned about pituitary tumor.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Sexual Problems
Question: i am concerned that i may have a pituitary tumour. mind you i am taking citalapram which i know can cause lactation which is the symptom that made me investigate possibilities in the 1st place but i am exhibiting other symptoms listed on internet also such as irregular periods and infertility. i have an appt with my gp but not for a week or so yet. can u enlighten me and tell me i am over reacting?!
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Pituitary tumor does not only present with excessive prolactin secretion only. Other hormonal disturbances are also associated with it.
Irregular periods do cause anovulatory cycles thus causing infertility. All these are interrelated problems and happen due to mild hormonal imbalances. Pituitary tumors is a rare entity.
To remove your doubts you can get your blood prolactin levels, LH and FSH levels assessed. Doing an MRI of head will also help in finding out any abnormal growth in the brain.
Please visit your gynecologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 hours later
thank you for your answer. you mention anovulatory cycles. what does that term mean? is it just irregularity?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If the cycles are irregular, a successful ovulation does not take place. Such cycles are called anovulatory cycles. This decreases the chances of conception as ovulation in necessary for conceiving.
Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.