Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Irregular periods, abdominal pain. Taking valprol. Prescribed orgamed, siphene, susten, magprol. No pregnancy. When will the periods start or is it pregnancy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
I am 25 years old. Intaking valprol 500 for 3 years. Now after marriage i got iiregular periods so consulted a doctor she suggested to have orgamed tablet to get periods. and siphene-100 for ovolution during 2-5 day of period.And susten-100 during from 21-26 day of period. in between in order not to affect baby if i was preg now i having magprol decreasing dosage instead of valprol. after taking susten its been 8 days that is march 18 2012 i got last periods now its 33 days still didnt get periods . No symptoms of pregnacy.only rarely abdominal pain comes. so can i wait for some time to see whether i am pregnant or should i consult doctor immediately. Its been 5 months i got married.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us.

It would be good to know the previous medical history.

Orgamed is medroxyprogesterone acetate given for withdrawal bleeding. Clomiphene is an ovulation induction drug.

Valprol is sodium valproate taken for an epileptic disorder. It causes congenital defects in the fetus.
If you are on valproic acid then you should not plan for the pregnancy without consulting your Neurophysician. He might change it to a safer drug. As you said you have decreased the dose of valproate and taking magprol which can also cause birth defects.

In my opinion there is no need to take susten and clomiphene. Instead I strongly recommend Folic acid supplementation since you are planning for pregnancy.

Get an ultrasound done to see any other cause for the delayed periods like polycystic ovaries.

Since you have not menstruated this month and delayed period even on withdrawal pills I recommend you to XXXXXXX a competent Obstetrician in your area for right treatment plan.

Best wishes

Take care

Any further query is most welcome

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor