Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Irregular periods. Trying to conceive. Diagnosed with Bilateral polycystic ovarian disease

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 2416 Questions
Hi, i am 28 years old. My periods always come irregular,last periods had come 5 nov 2011, but now it is not coming, i am married and I want to pregancy. last years, i did ultersound, and find Bilateral polycystic ovarian morphology. Plz could u tell me, can i get pregancy.

Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 44 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Bilateral Polycystic ovarian disease is one of the causes of irregular periods. This is a hormonal problem in which the hormonal disturbances cause a problem with ovulation ( a process where the ovum or egg is released from the ovary). In some cases, ovulation may occur and women can conceive without any problem. However, in other cases, it needs treatment, both in terms of lifestyle measures to reduce weight and drugs like metformin and clomiphene.
Since you did not get your periods for the last 2 months, I would suggest that a urine pregnancy test be done at home. This kit is available at the local chemist. I would suggest using an early morning urine sample and properly following the instructions in the kit.
If the test is negative, I would suggest that you consult your gynaecologist who can evaluate you and start treatment for PCOS. Several investigations would be needed which include:
a.     Serum luteinizing hormone levels
b.     Serum follicular stimulating hormone level
c.     An ultrasound of the pelvic region

Using serial follow up ultrasounds, your gynaecologist will be able to assess whether ovulation is occurring or not. If not, she might start you on drugs like clomiphene to induce ovulation.
It is possible that your husband may also need an evaluation in terms of a semen analysis if there are problems in conceiving subsequently.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor