Irregular periods ____________________ I have normal periods on December 21st
I have normal periods on December 21st 2018. On January 1st I had a iPill and next day again periods started and lasts for 8 days. After completion again yesterday (29 XXXXXXX 2019) periods started. Is this expected? Do I need to consult a doctor?
You can wait and watch your next natural period.
Thanks for letting us know your health concern.
I have gone through your query and would like to offer some information.
The bleeding you experienced after using the emergency pill is due to the withdrawal effect of the high hormone content in the pill.
The period you are experiencing now is likely to be the natural period. If the flow is normal and the bleeding arrests spontaneously as usual, you can wait and watch your next natural period. Otherwise, please get further help.
Hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.
Thanks for writing back.
In the current scenario, I would suggest a proper clinical evaluation since the bleeding is heavy. The frequency of the periods is due to the hormone disturbance created by the intake of the emergency pill, as the pill contains high dose of progesterone. This has caused the withdrawal bleeding after the pill ingestion.
You may need styptics to arrest the heavier flow. A course of hormones may be useful after other causes are excluded. There is no specific recommended food.
Please note that the pill use should be restricted to one or two occasions per year to avoid hormone fluctuations.
Hope this helps. Please contact if you need anything else.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Have had cesarean. What are the chances of cesarean for next pregnancy?
- Fetal heart rate 112-118 at 6 weeks pregnancy. Is this normal?
- Missing periods after mirena coil fitted. Should I be worried?
- Have PCOD. Advised gynaset. Looking for suggestion
- Pregnant. Started spotting, no cardiac activity seen. Taling fertigyn...
- Got delayed and prolonged period. What am I suffering from?
- Took postpone - 72 after unprotected sex. Started spotting. Side effect...
- Had novasure procedure. Getting smelly light red discharge. Any infection?
- Took paxil for anxiety disorder. Had unprotected sex. Missing period and...
- How to postpone my period date?