Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Irregular menstruation, have PCOD. Suggestion to use clomid?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 466 Questions
i am suffering with irregular menstruation... i heard that clomid is the best medicine for both irregular periods and conceving. we are trying for a child. so please guide me how to use clomid. i am 24 yrs old I got married 10 months back. i was told that i am suffering from PCOD by a doctor. also please let me know if clomid will help me....i will be thankful if u can suggest me how to use clomid...i am suffering from this problem since my marriage....
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 18 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Clomid is a hormonal preparation and is used for regularizing periods but it has to be prescribed after examination and evaluation of the disease. It is the drug of choice for Polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD). Clomid is a prescription drug, you need a doctor's prescription for this. It is not available over the counter.

In polycystic ovaries, the hormone imbalance is such that there are long intervals in between two periods and it does affect fertility. The best way to regularize the periods in such a situation is to take oral pills and Clomid is one of the drugs for it.

I would advise you to visit a Gynecologist for detailed evaluation as after investigations such as ultrasound scan and hormonal analysis it would be clear about the number, size and shape of the follicles and the associated hormonal imbalance.

After a detailed examination it would be decided regarding the dose and depending on whether you are ovulating or not, the dose would be adjusted accordingly.

Kindly avoid self medication as it can lead to more complications.

You can discuss these problems with your Gynecologist and she will choose the best option for you.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor