• question-icon

Irregular menstrual cycle,frequent menstruation

Posted on Sun, 27 May 2012 in Women's Health
Question: hi ,
My wife is out of town and had a short period after a month of her last period and then after that she has again got her periods . what can be reason for such short duration of the period .
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 50 minutes later

This is not an uncommon occurrence in females and a number of factors may have played a role in her case.

First of all, stress and changes in sleep habits may affect the normal menstrual cycle and could for example - lead to a premature period which lasts for a day or two followed by a normal period. Menstrual flow can fluctuate a bit (if this happens) as well with sometimes heavy bleeding occurring.

Another possibility would be an early pregnancy miscarriage. You would have to correlate this with her ovulatory cycle and when you had intercourse. This is a very common cause of irregular menses.

Next we should consider a fluctuation in weight. A gain or loss of significant weight of 5 to 10 pounds could alter the menstrual cycle also.

If she is otherwise feeling fine now, with no pain or fever or nausea, then you can observe for the time being and expect that her next cycle will be normal. If the next cycle again is irregular then she should see her gyn doc for a consultation.

I thank you again for submitting your query. I hope you found my response to be both helpful and informative. Should you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincererly,

Dr. Galamaga

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist