Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Irregular heart beats. What should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1966
Answered : 4506 Questions
I am a 37 year old male in decent shape
I have noticed the last couple of weeks that my heart takes a double beat stops for a moment and then starts up normally again. The last couple of days have been much worse where it will take like 3 normal beats then a double and then reset. Every time I get the double beat it takes my breath away. I have been diagnosed with S.V.T but never had this much of a problem before. I have been taken Zebeta for several years and that usually does the trick. Can I do something to get my heart back into a normal rhythm?
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
See your Cardiologist / Stepping up drug may help

Detailed Answer:
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The first step is to see your Cardiologist
A thorough history and physical examination is necessary.

Irregular heart beats need to be DOCUMENTED by ElectroCardioGram (EKG). Standard ECG records the electrical activity of the heart, for a few seconds. It can detect the arrhythmia occurring during that time only. If the episode occurs randomly, one needs Holter or event monitor.
     ECHOcardiogram / TMT (Treadmill exercise ECG) / LABORATORY work-up – may all be necessary for further assessment and assistance.
     Anaemia / Anxiety / Alcohol / Tobacco (smoking) / Caffeine (too much tea, coffee, cola) / Fever / Infection / Pain / Stress / Thyroid / calcium, magnesium / Medicines like Phenylephrine used for ‘cold’; Salbutamol used for asthma – are some common causes… / At times, abnormal nerve paths in the heart (bypass tracts) or disease of the conduction system may be responsible!
          If there are no clues and if the problem is still bothering to the extent of interfering with life style, one may need Electro Physiological Studies (EPS) > it resembles angio – a catheter is put inside the heart / electrical activity recorded / stimulation and suppression tests are carried out / suitable medicine tested and so on. Though the test is the gold standard, it is INVASIVE and is not generally done unless there are compelling indications. This super-speciality expert is called ELECTRO-PHYSIOLOGIST.
There are other advanced treatment modalities - like ablation (thermal or radio-frequency), which could be done during EPS.
     The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation.
     In the meantime, stepping up your Zebeta (Bisoprolol) by 2.5 mg may help / more after a few days, if necessary. The maximum dose is 20 mg – need to watch the pressure and rate. DISCUSS WITH YOUR DOCTOR - you should be in touch...

Take care     
Wishing all well
God bless
Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor