Irregular heart beat with rhinitis and and nasal congestion. Why do i need a sleep study?

Dr. Susanta Padhy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Question: I was sent for a sleep study and as a result was put on a bipap machine. I should emtnion that I suffer from a lot of rhinitis and and nasal congestion. I used the machine between seven and eight hours for the first month. I note not one difference. I was not fallling aslepp during the day, I did not suffer from hypertension, at least the old ones not defined by self intereted drug companies. I do have some irregular heartbeats. So I never was tolw, 1, why I was referred, and 2 what we were trying correct and how it would help me. I do not have apnea, I apparently do not breath as often as they would like. My SO level dropped to 80 once but was mostly between 90 and ninety two. Shortly after the first month I came down with a cold. That did not help anything. Then they tried me with a nose only mask, well becasue of nasal congestion I am mouth breather so does not work very well. I found the machine kept me awake more than I slet so I have put it away for a while. I never had one of those traffic incidents of bein in a fog (no accident0 until I was suing the thing. I am not trying to fight this but it is hard to use womething so rube goldberg when one does not understand the benefit that I am supposed to se. The physcian can be orgasmic but if I fell like hell I am not really helped. Does this happen and are these things over prescribed.
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 4 hours later
Hi

Thanks for sharing your concern and coming to healthcare magic

The reason for referring for sleep study can be because of

a. Once oxygen saturation dropping to 80.

b. Your age is 70 years when hypoxic abnormalities (low oxygen saturation) are common

c. Your history of irregular heart beat

I agree with you that, yes, using machine would be disturbing factor for sleep problem. But, I think, use of machine can be rescheduled according to your sleeping timing, after discussing with your physician

For sleep disturbances, using a non-benzodiazepine sedatives for some period may be helpful

Often, patients feel that these BIPAP machines are over used, but actually it is not so. They feel so because such problems are transient. But sometimes these transient occasional problems of low oxygen saturation ( what you refer to SO) can be fatal. Hence is the use of machine

Hope this answer will be of some help to your concerns

I would be glad to answer further

Good luck
Follow up: Dr. Susanta Padhy 10 hours later
It is very difficult to believe this is beneficial when in fact use of the machine seemd to cause the symptoms which I never have had before. I will try again for a three month period, that hasbeen my plan. But if see no beneift in the quality of my life or if I continue to see a deteroration in the quality of my as I have then I like 60% of th others will hang it up. Frankly this thing caused for me all of the symptoms that it is touted to eliminate. So I am really frustrated, more so than with anything else I have ever attempted. Sorry to feel that way but this is a god awful tretment.
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 20 hours later
I am thankful to you for expressing your dissatisfaction here.

No
Invariably, it (decreased quality of life, sleep disturbances etc) happens with majority of individuals who are put on BIPAP, at least initially.

If oxygen saturation comes to normal on repeated investigations, then you can discuss about the issue of further continuation of BIPAP, with your primary doctor.

I know that this answer will not satisfy you, but I think may be keeping little bit of patience, not loosing regular contact with your doctor may be helpful

Alternatively, no harm consulting a pulmonologist for a second opinion

I tried to be of some help but I do not know to what extent it can be helpful

Wish you a speedy recovery