Irregular heart beat with mild shortness of breath. Have hashimoto's thyroiditis. Proper advice?

Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol

Cardiologist, Interventional

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: Here are the facts: I have Hashimoto's, diagnosed when I begged for additional lab testing ( antibody level 782). Md finally stopped telling me I should "start jogging, elliptical workouts weren't enough to improve my stamina XXXXXXX Eight months earlier, went to a cardiologist after noticing an irregular heart beat with mild shortness of breath at randon times ( dinner, movies, work)- nuclear stress test done , echo, 30 day monitor ( 113 recorded episodes) - told left vavle murmer only. Synthroid dose of 137 has shrunk nodules and made my Endocrinologist happy. Current issues - PVC's ( I'm a nurse, saw the monitor strips) have returned in force. Relented to Toprol 25 nightly, not helping much. Recent test - mild changes in right valve despite more exercise and 20 pound weight loss in 2 years. Which is more the problem ?? My Hashimoto's or my heart ?
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 2 hours later

Thanks for a good description. I need some more information before we can conclusively answer your question.

1. How is your current T3, T4, and TSH level?
2. Is fatigue worsened by activity?
3. Apart from metoprolol (toprol) and synthyroid, what are your other medications?

Please get back to me with details, I shall be able to better guide you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 22 hours later
The fatigue is not worsened by activity and my only other medicines are Fish Oil, Vitamin D, and Red Yeast Rice. I do not have a copy of my last labs. I do recall that based on my, either Free T3 or T4, my endocrinologist made a modest change and has me on Synthroid 137 6x a week and 125 1x a week

In that case there doesn't seem to be any concern with your heart.

I would suggest you can continue your thyroid medicines and other supplements and that should settle all issues, may be in the next six to eight weeks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E