question-icon

Instead of biopsy , for prosate, cancer what is my

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2019
Question: Instead of biopsy, for prosate, cancer what is my second choice
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Biopsy is the gold standard investigation...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...
I can understand your concern...

Well, there are other options available namely a digital rectal examination, MRI pelvis with the urogenital system, serum PSA studies which can outline the prostate as well as the surrounding structures...

However, none of these investigations uses actual tissue sampling which is only done in biopsy hence making it the gold standard among them all...Please also note, that the Grading system for prostate cancer is also based on biopsy findings only...

Hope this answers your query...

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist