Inserted IUD. Started spotting and heavy periods. On contraceptive pill. What is going on?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Birth Control
Question: I've been experiencing prolonged periods lately, i inserted IUD in May 2012 but since September i've been spotting non stop. I went to see my gynea about it and he did scan and everything seemed fine and prescribed oral contraceptive to stop the bleeding, it stopped for two days and now the periods came back heavy than it was and its more than 7 days now and i haven't stopped taking the oral pill. I'm statrting to get worried now. do you think it this copper T or something is wrong with me.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 19 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I do not think that anything serious is going wrong, but spotting with the IUD in place is not uncommon. Given the lack of response to the hormones, the possibilities might include:

1. Developement of something like a polyp within the uterus (difficult to see with IUD in place)
2. Improper position of the IUD (though I would think this would be seen on ultrasound)

In your case, with a patient like yourself, I would normally recommend:
1. A pregnancy test
2. Removing the IUD
3. Performing an ultrasound where 'fluid' is pushed into the uterus to evaluate the contour of the lining (called a sonohysterogram)
4. If normal, discussing putting it back in or changing to the Mirena IUD.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have additional questions! Good luck!