Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Insect bite, rashes at the site of bite. What do you advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
Last Saturday, I was outside and it felt like something bit me just below my right ear but right outside my hairline. I don't know what it was but I have been itching to the point it hurts to itch. It has been 11 days since the bite but there seems to be about 4 bites in the same area and it had a rash appearance. Can you possible tell me what this is and what I can do for it? Thanks in advance!
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I understand that it is a very bad experience when it itches this bad for straight 11 days. As you mentioned that something bit you, insects bite can cause local allergic reaction which can last for 2 weeks. Normally the settle down in 3-5 days, but if it has lasted to 11 days then probably your body is reacting to it and hence you are developing the itching cause of the mast cells releasing histamine in that area.
What you need to do?
First fix an appointment with a dermatologist. Being in united states it will take a while before you get you appointment. Until then, apply lacto calamine locally and take Tab Cetrizine which is an anti-histamininc and reduce your local allergy. These tablets are available in 5 mg and 10 mg. As per the XXXXXXX policy I wont be able to prescribe you the tablets on net. Cetrizine may cause sedation and hence be careful while driving.
Lastly, I know it difficult, but try to itch as much as possible. If you itch, you irritate the area which releases more histamine and which makes you itch more. This goes on.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor