Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Injury after fall, bruising and pain in leg, dark red blotches, soreness, puffiness

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 121 Questions
I fell down a set of stairs onto stones and concrete about two weeks ago. I had bruising and pain in my leg for about two weeks. But now, where the bruise once once I have four very dark red blotches that are sore to the touch and a bit puffy. Also, the pain in my leg is back.
Posted Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 2 hours later
Thank you for writing in,
I think you have a haematoma ( a collection of the blood) at the affected site. This occurs when the
blood vessels under the skin rupture due to trauma.

Since this is associated with pain and slight swelling, I would suggest you see a general physician and get an evaluation done. We would be atleast needing a Xray to confirm that there is no severe underlying injury.

Till then, I would suggest the following to help provide relief:
-cold compresses like ice pack should be applied to the affected area for 20-30 minutes in order to speed healing and reduce swelling.
-Do not apply ice directly to the skin. Wrap the icepack in a towel.
- You can take tablet Motrin 400 mg one tablet as and when required with food ( upto 4 tablets daily). However, it would be better if you avoid this if you are receiving any medication to control your blood pressure ( which I am assuming you are not as you said your BP is good)
-Avoid aspirin because aspirin slows the blood from clotting and may, in fact, prolong the bleeding.
- Elevate the bruised area, if possible.

Kindly visit your doctor and get an opinion on the lesion and X-ray of the area.

If you have any doubt, I'll be happy to help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor