Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Injured severely. MRI done. Do I need surgery?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Oncologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 576 Questions
I would like to know if the severity of my injury has worsened based on the two MRI's I've had 9 months apart. I would also like to know if surgery is an option.
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 7 hours later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. As compared to your previous MRI (08/2012), the current MRI demonstrates progression of the disease/ injury. In your previous MRI there was no canal stenosis or compression (and the problem was limited to L5-S1) but the current MRI shows stenosis and compression at both L4-5 & L5-S1 levels, which can lead to symptoms like weakness, tingling and pain in the legs and as the herniation is more towards the left side, you can have more symptoms on that side.
You should consult a good spine surgeon and consider aggressive physiotherapy and possibly surgery to take care of the problem.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor