Injecting crystal meth. Numb face, swollen tongue, rashes on back and neck. Allergic reaction?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Drug Abuse
Question: I have been injecting crystal meth for many years and have never had any weird reaction, until these past two weeks. I have been instantly getting a rash on my neck, chest, and back sides of my arms. It continues to come and go throughout my body as I get chills and then overheat. Since the first time it happened I have been so scared that I will take Benadryl and dwell that I am having an allergic reaction. (I am doing a minimal amount once a day). The first time and only that time, my tongue started to swell and I was talking like it. I took Benadryl right away but after 30 mins went by I couldn't inhale air unless I drank liquid and swallowed. Now when I feel parts of my face getting tingly I assume swelling but it is usually just my over reaction. My face does get numb and my tongue will get extremely dry (more then usual). Also One foot will be hot and the other freezing cold. I have been treated for staph twice since Nov. and have taken many different antibiotics.
Is this a allergic reaction, severe dehydration, or is there something else happening to my body?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

The description sounds to be acute reaction to the allergen. Allergic reaction can concurrently appear to be dehydrated. So it is / can be both of them. I could think of drug reactions for the medicines that you choose for High BP and Asthma. Asthma attacks trigger severe with drug abuse.

You should extremely cautious about your use of cyrstal meth. The reaction till now are mild to moderate but if you are unlucky there can be severe reaction and life threatening.

I suggest you to quit meth and consult a doctor if you have ongoing symptoms. Benadryl is not the right treatment.

Let me know if I had clearly mentioned about the serious nature of your problem. It requires immediate attention by expert.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli