Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Ingrown hair on scrotum, grown in size. Do you have any idea what might cause this? History of cataract surgery.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 466 Questions
About a month ago I noticed what resembled an ingrown hair on my scrotum. Like a pimple. I noticed yesterday in the shower that what started out about the size of a bb gun pellet was about the size of a marble. Do you have any idea what might cause this. It doesn't seem to be attached to the testicle at all. I'm 68 years old. 6 feet 3 inches tall. I have no medical issues that I'm aware of nor have had any other than cataract surgery about a decade ago.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 5 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Small outgrowth on scrotum can be due to many reasons. The most common reasons are

1. Folliculitis - due to an infected hair follicle. Usually has pus inside and needs an antibiotic and anti inflammatory drug for treatment.

2. Sebaceous cyst which occurs due to a blocked sebaceous gland. The secretions of the sebaceous glands start collecting inside and this becomes painful. This needs to be surgically removed if infected.

3. Genital warts which occur due to a viral infection. Some of the simple tests carried out by your dermatologist will confirm the diagnosis.

A thorough examination is a must for proper diagnosis and treatment. Kindly visit a Physician for evaluation.

Till then, you can take general cleanliness measures to avoid any infection in that area. There is no harm in putting a calamine lotion in that area to soothe the itching. You can also use 1% hydrocortisone cream available over the counter for symptomatic relief.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor