Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Ingrown hair appeared at the base of penis. Developed swelling after rubbing it. Any remedy?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9627 Questions
Four days ago, I noticed what appeared to be an ingrown hair at the base (underside) of my penis. **Where the penis meets the scrotum*** I mashed the area with my fingers (like a zit) pretty hard.
Day 1: Swelling - spikey pain feeling in center of the area.
Day 2: Swelling - less pain - more swelling - like two peas side by side under the skin.
Day 3: Swelling - no pain.
Day 4: Swelling - no pain.
I fear that I may have herniated something. The area is reddish, but not overly discolored as a busted blood vessel would be. Please advise.
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have developed a boil - staphylococcal infection of hair follicle.

You may need to take some antibiotic like doxycycline along with antiinflammatory medicine like diclofenac. Your family physician will know about these medications. You can get it prescribed by them.

In the meantime, ensure to clean the area with warm water. Monitor the progress. In case if it bursts and drains pus you may need to get it incised and drained properly by a surgeon.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor