• question-icon

Infrequent bowel movements, no effect of Metamucil. Concerned

Posted on Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My daughter (40 years old) has a history of infrequent bowel movements, which normally occur about 2-3 days apart. However, it has now been 6 days since her last movement and she is becoming concerned. Metamucil has no apparent effect.

Any suggestions?

Regards, XXXXXXX Melrose
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Constipation is a very common problem. We are often trained that we must pass motions daily but physiology says that atleast 3 motions in a week is normal. Some people simply have slower movement of the GIT which causes less frequent bowel movements.

Is the lack of bowel movements causing distress ? Is there any bloating of abdomen ? Is there any pain or loss of weight ?

If there is no to each of the above questions that you need not be worried. If yes we need to evaluate further.

You can start off with a thyroid function test and routine blood investigations. If there is loss of weight we might consider going for a colonoscopy. Else the best idea is to continue metamucil , take lots of fibers in diet and if that doesn't work we can consider other medications. Remember fibers are the safest and most natural way of a good bowel movement.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr. Om Lakhani
Dr. Om Lakhani

Endocrinologist