Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Information regarding ENT

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2543 Questions
Dear Dr.
My question is related to ENT
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Surgery is unlikely to boost your hearing to a level where you can use a CIC (Completely In Canal) hearing aid.

2. Since your middle ear is completely destroyed in the right ear and there is a mixed hearing loss, with occasional discharge, surgery may even damage it further.

3. There is a low and high frequency hearing loss in your left ear, which is also a chronic discharging ear, may be also due to your sinusitis. Hearing aids cannot provide clarity at high frequencies, or be used in discharging ears. This 'reverse cookie bite' audiogram of your left ear will make hearing aid fitting difficult.

4. I recommend that you take a trial with a BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid) which can be done without surgery. If you are worried about the external titanium abutment or fixture, there is a new generation of partially implantable BAHA devices available now. You may look up the Sophono alpha 1 website. Also worth considering are the Vibrant SoundBridge (Med-El), Esteem 2 (Envoy Medical) and SoundBite (Sonitus Medical).

4. We can discuss further after you have read up details about the above mentioned devices.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor