Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Information on whether GERD is a serious disease?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1982
Answered : 698 Questions
Could you refer me to a medical practitioner who is familiar with aged care I need to find out whether GERD is a serious disease because I am in a low care nursing home and the nurses are not happy with my health. The only symptoms I have shown could be attributed to acid reflux disease I am very concerned abot my security of tenure
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 3 hours later

Thank you for your question on XXXXXXX the world's leading Q & A portal for medicare. You must realise that this is only an online platform for answering questions related to your health problems. It appears that you need the services of either a gastro-enterologist or a general physician who is able to take care of reflux disease. GER and GERD are entirely different terms. The former points only to the presence of acid reflux and associated problems of acid in the food-pipe such as heart burn, swallowing difficulties, belching, acidic vomiting and, in severe cases, an ulcer of the food pipe. The nomenclature GERD is applied when the symptoms of acid reflux cause the ulcers, or lead to disease of other systems and metabolism.

This is the website of Australian old-age specialist doctors:

This is the site for gastroenterologists of Australia:

You could join their mailing list or contact them for further information on the best doctors available in your exact location, which appears to be close to Sydney.

I am afraid that is the best that is possible from an online advice site.

Thank you once again.

With regards,

Dr. Taher
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor