Information on myasthenia gravis disease?

Posted on Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: what is myasthenia gravis disease?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
An autoimmune condition.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Myasthenia gravis is a rare condition that causes weakness of muscles. It mainly affects the eye muscles and those that control swallowing and talking. Also, muscles that control the neck, walking and breathing may be affected. These symptoms are often worse during exercise and improve with rest.
Myasthenia gravis is an autoimmune condition where the body attacks the receptors on the muscles which would normally be stimulated by the nerves. Thereby making the muscles less responsive to the nerves.
There is no cure for myasthenia gravis, but treatments are available to help control the symptoms and improve muscle weakness. It is entirely possible to lead a relatively normal life with this condition with appropriate treatment. The treatment is medication used to improve communication between the nerves and muscles and increase muscle strength.
In some cases of myasthenia gravis, surgery may be recommended to remove the thymus gland (a thymectomy). The thymus gland is found underneath the breastbone and is part of the immune system. It is often abnormal in people with myasthenia gravis.
I hope this is of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA
Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist