Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Information about ozone therapy treatment for spinal cord problem

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 353 Questions
i want to know about ozone therapy treatment for spinal cord problem..from INDIA
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Ozone treatment has been tried in many spinal conditions like slipped disc (disc prolapse), spondylosis, nerve root compression and facet joint pain. They are reported to have success rate of 80% to 90% and almost 0% rate of complications compared to medical surgery.

It would have been better, if you would have given the details of your mother's illness / diagnosis given by her doctor's. That would have helped in giving a specific reply.

General information about ozone therapy is as follows:

- Ozone being a powerful oxidant, immediately dissolves in the extra cellular fluid. It then, reacts with a number of molecules that are present there and this helps in symptom relief.
- During Ozone discectomy, ozone is injected in inter vertebral disc. After some time it causes the shrinkage and mummification of the disc, which provides relief to the compressed nerve root; this gives pain relief.
- Ozone also exerts anti-inflammatory actions; because of which edema, venous congestion is reduced and the blood supply gets improved.
- Usually intradiscal injection of ozone is not repeated. For facet joints or nerve roots usually 4-6 injections are required to be given once every week. But these injections are injected into the para-vertebral space.
- The pain relief from Ozone discectomy is good in the long term and its effect usually lasts for more than a year or so.

As your doctor has recommended it, you can go ahead with this. It is just a day care procedure with less hospital stay.
I will name few specialist who can help you with this - Ananth Pain Clinic (Chennai, TN); Dr. XXXXXXX Darda (Nagpur, Maharashtra).

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubts feel free to revert back.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor