Inflammatory arthritis, swollen hands, feet, anemic, enlarged lymph nodes. Treatment ?

Posted on Sat, 26 May 2012 in Arthritis
Question: Hi
My 24 year daugher is being tested for inflammatory arthritis her feet and hands are swollen and puffy her last blood test came back clear except that she is very anemic she is exhausted has no appetiteand the lymph nodes behind her ears are enlarged does this sound like inflammatory arthritis the first two doctors she saw thought she had a virus. This all started about two months ago with a cough and a sore throat that she still has.
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 1 hour later

Your daughter seems to have Inflammatory Polyarthritis.

It can be due the following causes.
1. Post infectious - Likely Post Streptococcal/Viral - She has had cough and sorethroat to begin with.
2. Inflammatory arthritis due to autoimmune condition such as Rheumatoid Arthritis/SLE/Adult Onset Stills Disease

She should undergo the following investigations for confirmation

1. Complete Blood Count with ESR
2. Rheumatoid Factor
3. XXXXXXX
4. Serum Ferritin and Triglycerides
5. Anti-streptolysin O titres

If these labs are ok, you will need a course of Steroids for 2 - 3 weeks

If you can let me know the reports, I can give a more specific advice.
You can mail me at YYYY@YYYY with Subject Attn:Dr Kiran Kumar

Hope this answers your query.
Will await your reply

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Kiran Kumar