Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Inflamed fordyce spot on penis, bleeds when scratched. Is it an STD?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 2416 Questions
I would like to start by saying I am a 21 year old male and very scared. About two months ago I noticed I had what appeared to be an inflamed fordyce spot on the shaft of my penis (just 1). It looked like a fordyce spot but felt slightly more prominent (in other words it looked like basically nothing). I made quick work of it (scratched it off) thinking it was either nothing or an ingrown hair. I had no reason to believe otherwise. I had protected sex with my girlfriend for a year and then a 1 time protected sex act with a friend who claims shes clean and been tested. At a glance the bump doesn't look like anything but its neighboring fordyce spots, but feels a little more prominent. Needless to say it kind of comes back in the same spot and I try to pop it basically just goes away after bleeding and comes back to being what it was. If I have an STD I will be quite depressed. I have a great life now and that would be terrible. Explaining to future woman I have hpv or something scares me into immature acts like scratching it/avoiding doctors/ignoring it. Next time I see (or feel rather) the little dot I will go to the doctor but for now maybe someone can offer an alternative explanation? I have been known to be a hypochondriac. Thanks - much appreciated.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 30 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

Fordyce's spots are small painless bumps on the shaft of the penis and they are a form of sebaceous glands which have not properly developed.

There are many raised spots on and around the penis and out of that some have hairs coming out of them. Here what I need to ask you is that when you pop it does any white substance come out or just blood comes out? (Just in case if white substance comes out then it may be a sebaceous cyst)

As far as your fear of sexually transmitted disease, I think whatever sexual history you have given is all of protected sex. So you can relax if you have never had unprotected sex then you are unlikely to have any of sexually transmitted disease.

You need not worry and like you said if you are known to be hypochondriac then you can even consult a doctor in person to be mentally relaxed. You do not have any symptom of STD other than a raised bump at the same spot which is most likely the fordyce spot or a blocked hair follicle.

So do not worry

Hope my answer is both helpful and reassuring. Revert back to me if you have any further queries or details.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor