Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

121 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Infected throat and runny nose after drinking cold. Looking for permanent solution

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 332 Questions
I am XXXXXXX . Every time i drink something cold my throat gets infected due to which I suffer from cold .After that I have running nose until I don't get medicated . I want to get permenant solution in which my throat should never get infected
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of the information provided it appears that you are suffering from allergic pharyngitis and allergic rhinitis.
Allergy can be because of a variety of causes - pollen , house dust, smoke or change in temperature, stress etc.

Once there is an exposure the sequence of chemical events starts which leads to itching in throat, pain in throat, nose blockade, nasal discharge and sneezing. All cases do not have every symptom. During this phase patient is prone for throat infection or tonsil infection or sinus infection.

In your case it appears that you get allergic episode and than a secondary infection.
I would advise you for a ENT consultation so that conditions like chronic tonsillitis, sinusitis can be ruled out and the treatment for allergy in nose and throat can be initiated
Once treatment of acute phase is over the patient may require phophylaxis to avoid repeated attacks.
It is difficult to get complete rid of this condition but as we grow the attacks are milder and phophylactic medicines are required for long term.
I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you need more information about it
with regards
Ravinder Sharma

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist