Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Infected ingrown hair on penis, bactroban, neaosporin, small lump, puss, previously infected. STD risk?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 520 Questions
Infected ingrown hair and STD risk
I had/(have) an infected ingrown hair on the middle shaft of my penis that was, (& is still being) treated with Bactroban (2x daily now) and neaosporin. The doctor also helped initially draw out the most infection pocket almost 2 weeks back. The elongated and narrow lump has gone down in considerable size and it is not sore and/or as red as it was, however, there is still a small lump and a little, little amount of puss that comes out of the same small, (literal) spot area daily. I do not see a hair coming out of that general area yet either. I'm wondering if the hair is a fine follicle and is still inside and not able to penetrate the now, previously infected, (minor scarred) skin, and that the infection, while now, seemingly under control will not subside until that hair follicle breaks through the skin, (if it can...)? Additionally, I am sexually active and while it's not a wound, per say, and I am attempting to use condoms as best I can, am I still at elevated risks for general STD's, HIV, etc...? When can I expect this to heal? When should I see a dermatologist, if at all and what can be done about this?
Sat, 19 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 23 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.
Since a little amount of pus is still being expressed, there is a possibility that there may still be some hair down there. Usually, the pus or inflammation caused by ingrown hair is not due to infection and thus antibiotics alone are not very helpful.
The best treatment is to remove the hair which I assume has already been done in your case.
You said that you still have some pus coming OUT, which suggests that there is already an opening in the skin (otherwise the pus would have got accumulated)
The lump may take a while to go as it has formed due to fibrosis.
I suggest you use a steroid antibiotic cream (like Fucibet) twice daily. This will help reduce the inflammation.
So use the suggested cream and wash the area daily. I think you will be fine in about a week
If you are using a condom religiously, I do not see any reason for you to be at high risk for acquiring sexually transmitted infections.
But if you do not use a condom, then this boil does put you at increased risk as the skin continuity is breached.
I think you can wait for another 7 days before you see your dermatologist. If the condition does not improve, you would need a personal consultation.
I hope I have addressed your concerns.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor